1. According to Lewis concept of acids and bases, ethers are
a) acidic b) basic c) neutral d) amphoteric.
2. An organic compound C4H10O when heated with excess HI gives only one type of alkyl iodide. The Compound is
a) diethyl ether b) methyl n-propyl ether
c) methyl iso propyl ether d) n-butyl alcohol
3. Anisole on bromination yields
a) m- bromoanisole b) o- bromoanisole c) o- & p- bromoanisole d) benzoic acid.
4. Diethyl ether behaves as a
a) Lewis acid b) Lewis base c) Neutral compound d) Bronsted acid.
5. Diethyl ether can be decomposed with
a) HI b) KMnO4 c) NaOH d) H2O.
6. Ether is formed when alkyl halide is treated with sodium alkoxide. The / This method is known as
a) Hoffmann's reaction b) Williamson’s synthesis
c) Wurtz reaction d) Kolbe's reaction.
7. Ethers should not be evaporated to dryness because
a) They form explosive peroxide b) they are insoluble in water
c) they are inert d) they are lighter than water
8. Higher ethers can be prepared from lower members by the action of
a) conc. H2SO4 b) AgOH c) sodium alkoxide d) Grignard reagent.
9. In the formation of oxonium salt when etherial oxygen reacts with strong mineral acid is called
a) electronation b) protonation c) deprotonation d) dehydration.
10. Number of ether isomers possible for (the molecular formula) C4H10O is
a) 7 b) 5 c) 4 d) 3. /
a) one b) two c) three d) four.
11. Oxygen atom of ether is
a) more / very reactiveb) replaceable c) oxidizing d) (comparatively) inert.
12. The compound mixed with ethanol to serve as substitute for petrol is
a) methoxy methane b) ethoxy ethane c) methanol d) ethanal.
13. The IUPAC name of phenatole is
a) ethyl phenyl ether b) methyl phenyl ether
c) diethyl ether d) diphenyl ether (ethoxy benzene).
14. The preparation of diethyl ether by Williamson's synthesis is a / an / Williamson's synthesis is an example of
a) nucleophilic addition reaction b) electrophilic addition reaction
c) electrophilic substitution reaction d) nucleophilic substitution reaction.
15. When ether is exposed to air for some time, an explosive substance produced is
a) peroxide b) TNT c) superoxide d) gun cotton. / Oxide
16. When ethers are exposed to air for a long time, they form
a) peroxides b) halides c) oxides d) superoxides.
17. When ethyl iodide is treated with dry silver oxide, it forms
a) ethyl alcohol b) diethyl ether
c) silver ethoxide / silver methoxide d) ethyl methyl ether
18. Which among the following is unsymmetrical ether?
a) C6H5-O–C6H5 b) C2H5-O-C2H5 c) CH3-O –CH3 d) C6H5-O -CH3.
19. Which of the following produces ether, when heated with Conc. H2SO4 at 413 K?
a) Organic acid b) Aldehyde c) Alcohol d) Ketone.
20. Which one of the following ethers is used in perfumery?
a) dimethyl ether b) diethyl ether c) ethyl methyl ether d) methyl phenyl ether.
21. Which one of the following is simple ether?
a) CH3-O-C2H5 b) C6H5-O-CH3 c) C2H5-O-C2H5 d) C3H7-O-C2H5
22. Zeisel's method of detection and estimation of alkoxy group in alkaloids involves the reaction of ether with
a) HI b) Cl2 c) P d) dil. HCl.
23.Intermolecular hydrogen bonds are not present ina) CH3COOH b) C2H5OC2H5 c) CH3CH2OH d) C2H5NH2
24. When diethyl ether reacts with chlorine in presence of sunlight givesa) α-chloro diethyl ether b) α, α'-dichloro diethyl ether
c) perchloro diethyl ether d) both (a) & (b)
25.Williamson's synthesis is an example of
a) nucleophilic addition b) electrophilic addition
c) electrophilic substitution d) nucleophilic substitution