Most questions begin with one of the following words / terms / action verbs. It is useful to know what these words mean.
Objective - I
1. Define means "give the exact meaning of’. Give the precise meaning of a word or phrase as concisely as possible.
2. Draw represent by means of pencil lines (add labels unless told not to do so)
3. List give a sequence of names or other brief answers with no elaboration, each one clearly separated from the others
4. Measure find a value for a quantity
5. State it means “give a concise factual answer”. Give a specific name, value or other brief answer (no supporting argument or calculation is necessary)
Objective - II
6. Annotate add brief notes to a diagram, drawing or graph
7. Apply use an idea, equation, principle, theory or law in a new situation
8. Calculate used when a numerical answer is required. Find an answer using mathematical methods (Working must be shown unless instructed not to do so) = Find
9. Compare give an account of similarities and differences between two (or more) items, referring to both (all) of them throughout (comparisons can be given using a table)
10. Describe means to write down fully what you would do or observe. Give a detailed account, including all the relevant information = Illustrate, Express
11. Distinguish - give the differences between two or more different items = Differentiate (differences can be given using a table)
12. Estimate used when a numerical answer is required. Find an approximate value for an unknown quantity, based on the information provided and scientific knowledge
13. Identify find an answer from a number of possibilities
14. Outline means keep your answer brief. Give a brief account or summary (include essential information only) = Sketch, Summarise
Objective - III
15. Analyse interpret data to reach conclusions
16. Construct represent or develop in graphical form
17. Deduce reach a conclusion from the information given
18. Derive manipulate a mathematical equation to give a new equation or result
19. Design produce a plan, object, simulation or model
20. Determine - means that you must use the information given to write out the answer. Find the only possible answer = Find out, Find
21. Discuss give an account including, where possible, a range of arguments, assessments of the relative importance of various factors or comparisons of alternative hypotheses
22. Evaluate assess the implications and limitations
23. Explain means you must give some reasons. Give a clear account including causes, reasons or mechanisms = Elucidate, Give Details
24. Predict means that you have to make a logical deduction either from your own knowledge or from information in the question or from both. Give an expected result
25. Solve obtain an answer using algebraic and/or numerical methods
26. Suggest means that there is no unique answer but you are to give your own idea of the best answer. Propose a hypothesis or other possible answer = Propose
27. Write down is meant literally. You just write down the answer.
“Find” is often used in place of “Calculate” or “Determine”.